[Board] USGIF Conference and diatribe on where we are heading

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Oct 26 09:12:00 PDT 2011

I appreciate your thoughts on this.  It's clear to me that we've got
as many different visions for the foundation as we do members.

For example, this statement "We already do a great job on supporting
development" is something I disagree with completely.

Also, I am not that enthusiastic about making the foundation operate
like a big business (emphasis on big is mine).

I do agree wholeheartedly with the idea of more regular conferences.
I'd like to see the revenue from these conferences go to support
development of the projects.  It is, after all, the projects that draw
people to the conferences (interested to hear if others see this
differently).

I see a clear value proposition for sponsors of the conference(s).  I
would be interested to hear others describe what the value proposition
is for sponsors of the foundation (without the conferences).  For me,
the value proposition doesn't change with or without an executive
director.  I do believe that without a commitment to a regular/stable
conference, we reduce the likelihood of a growing or at least
sustainable foundation.

If we want to view the foundation as a business, I'd say our assets
are the projects and our marketplace is the conference.  What is the
model from your perspective?

Tim

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/