[Board] USGIF Conference and diatribe on where we are heading

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 26 12:15:11 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com> wrote:
> As the Board, it is our responsibility to set those goals and develop that
> plan, and we already agreed that, where justified, OSGeo should pay for
> additional in-person meetings.  Therefore, I propose we meet in person as
> soon as is practical to continue the work started in Denver, to decide in
> what direction we want to grow and make concrete plans for how to get there.

Michael,

I am willing to travel somewhere if I can accomplish it on a weekend
and as long as it doesn't directly interfere with other personal plans.

However, I do not feel that we have at all exhausted the media
of email.  It is hard to come to consensus by email, but I think a
lot can be accomplished to explain our positions and discuss at
least some of them by email.

I shall attempt to respond in greater detail to Mark later this
week or this weekend.

I will agree it is challenging to have in depth discussions by IRC
though at least in IRC I don't feel "shut down" as often as I do
in f2f meetings with many people (or worse yet phone meetings
where I never know if I'm clear to talk). :-)