[Board] New MOUs proposed...

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Mon Sep 5 19:09:31 PDT 2011

The MOUs predate me being a board member, so please view my following
comments as coming from way out in the uninformed peanut gallery:

What do these MOUs actually mean to OSGeo?

I'm familiar with agreements/statements between two organizations that say
"we're both in favor of X, and we'll work together to make X happen".  Often
these sorts of agreements have no deliverables behind them, they are just
statements of principles aimed at making the organizations be friends.
That's good and needed, sometimes.  Is that what these MOU are intended to
do?

I see statements like "mutual promotion of...", "formation of the...",
"develop collaboration opportunities for...", and "to provide expertise and
support for...", and so I have to wonder if instead the MOUs represent
specific tasks that have been scoped out, e.g. with people on board to lead
them and funding commensurate to meet the objectives?  Or is the MOU
intended to be read as saying these are goals that we'd like to mutually
achieve, but for which we have no hard plans as yet?

To be blunt, I guess I'm asking what OSGeo resources are potentially going
to be committed by these agreements, if any?

-mpg