[Board] 2012 FOSS4G Decision

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Sep 15 11:28:43 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-15, at 10:29 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:

> On 09/14/2011 02:06 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Regardless of our current financial situation (or the proposed expenditures),
>> I'm concerned to see financial commitments, new job positions, FOSS4G planning...
>> all being hastily mixed into this vote.
>
> Tyler,
> procrastinating on these decisions has exactly put us in the mire we are
> in now.

We need to get a handle on planning, budgets and
effective allocation of our resources (hence the meeting on Sunday).
That's the mire you're stuck in - not delaying spending decisions.
Tossing money at a potential problem is not a strategic decision
that should ease concerns.

> At one point we have to move on - or at least get started.

There are some creative ways to deal with your concerns.
For example, build it into the FOSS4G budget and dependent
on raising sponsorships early on.  Set up an official set of
responsibilities on the LOC for the conf committee chair, so you feel
that there is effective oversight.  Or since you already have
me on staff, you could allocate my time to help in the
interim on the event until you iron this idea out further.  I'm sure
you could think of even more ways to help alleviate the concern.

Veto or not - you've brought up some real concerns for how
the selection of the hosts is being made.  Don't get me wrong, I do believe
that the board should examine the conf committee's recommendations,
but something may be broken if you are so uncomfortable with their
selection that you officially threaten to block it.

That's my take on the situation anyway.  I'm sure you will iron
it all out at the meeting Sunday.

Tyler