[Board] 2012 FOSS4G Decision

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Sep 15 13:28:10 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-15, at 12:50 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> On 11-09-15 03:43 PM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>> Board,
>> after having discussed this with several people and taking into
>> consideration all mails to this list on the topic I amend my vote to a
>> +1 given that we limit OSGeo's financial exposure to a set seed funding
>> amount of (proposing) 20k (please discuss).
>>

> I'm sure the information is available somewhere, but to accelerate things, could you of Jeff perhaps answer the following questions for the benefit of all board members:
>
> 1- In past years, other than the seed funding, was OSGeo financially backing the LOC in case of a deficit? Is there an implied or written rule on that front?
>
> 2- What amount of seed funding is provided generally (or was provided in the last 3 years for instance)?

I'll give my best memory recall...

2011:  ~$8k was used for the 2011event to bring GITA organisers to the 2010 event.
2009: ~$30k was requested for seed funding, though was ad hoc requested, not budgeted ahead of time as far as I recall.

No other seed funding has been promised or provided as far as I can remember.  The focus of most
of the events has been on having early revenue from sponsors cover the planning costs up front and
that has worked out great.  It's also a good metric that gives time.. e.g. if there isn't enough early
sponsorship, the event can be adjusted to reduce costs until the situation improves.  Others may
recall better but I don't think anyone has put in their budgets for this kind of support before.

Hope that helps,
Tyler