[Incubator] Re: [Board] Codesprint guidelines posted

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Tue Sep 20 16:00:59 PDT 2011

On 09/20/2011 04:55 PM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
> First, should probably maintain a list of the reps in OSGeo wikispace
> somewhere, that way at least the board can get a feel for who is
> supposed to be representing each project. Second, we should probably
> explictly reach out to project reps (as you tried to do); on important
> matters, I expect that reps would usually stand up and be counted
> without much further prodding. In cases where we are concerned we
> aren't hearing from projects, an explicit email directly to project
> reps -- especially in the case of existing disagreements being expressed
> by some reps -- seems a solid fallback.
>
> Does anyone have a good feel for who the reps are supposed to be now? If
> not, then I think sending an email to each dev list equivilant asking
> projects to ensure they have a single rep to the board registered on a
> wiki page seems an appropriate first step.

We have this in place but not really a process for how to keep it updated:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Contacts#Project_Steering_Committees
In some cases it lacks a link to more information (email, address, etc.)
and it is somewhat tedious to quickly hack a mail to address these persons.

Should we have a separate mailing list for exactly this purpose?

A.

> I can set up a wiki page and reach out to projects, if there isn't
> already an active resource like this (or it is sufficiently out of date
> to be useless...)
>
> -- Chris
>
> "ext Seven (aka Arnulf)" <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:
>
> Chris,
> how do you propose we make sure that we have an (attentive) project
> representative on the board list? Ideas?
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf
>
> On 09/20/2011 04:38 PM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>> The incubation list is almost certainly not the best way :-) Each
>> project is supposed to have a representative to the board as part of
>> coming out of incubation, right? Have we kept that up? If not, we
>> probably should...
>>
>> "ext Seven (aka Arnulf)" <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:
>>
>> Tim,
>> I suggest you go to the Wiki directly [1] and change what you think
>> needs to be changed. It is a Wiki do-ocracy and I actually sort of
>> expect you to propose changes directly.
>>
>> Maybe we should also include the incubation list - or what is the best
>> way of getting a hold of all projects? Ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arnulf.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
>>
>> On 09/20/2011 01:02 PM, Tim Schaub wrote:
>>> Thanks for putting these up Michael.
>>>
>>> I think a number of us have issues with the "bigger is better" notion
>>> with regard to code sprints.  I have certainly seen cases where size
>>> contributes diminishing returns.
>>>
>>> My preference would be to leave the last sentence off entirely (the
>>> num days x num projects x num participants metric), as I don't think
>>> it is an accurate way to measure "sprint value."
>>>
>>> Would other object if we took out this sentence?
>>>
>>> "OSGeo will provide financial support proportional to the "size" of
>>> the event, as measured by(the number of projects) times (the number
>>> attendees) times (the number of days)."
>>>
>>> If we need some sort of heuristic for determining how much OSGeo
>>> should contribute toward a particular sprint, I think it would come
>>> from answering questions like these:
>>>
>>> 1) Are there clear objectives for the projects/people involved?
>>> 2) Is there a demonstrated need for what participants plan to accomplish?