[Board] Preliminary Survey Results

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 05:17:44 PDT 2011

Chris,

Good point, but I'd expect that we could rubber stamp the Denver conference and match or exceed this year's number.  Colorado is a geospatial center for the US.  I think the break even target for this year was somewhere around 500, so it would be prudent to target that or slightly higher.  As government budgets get whacked I'm expecting a lot more interest from government agencies.  In any case, it was a very successful conference and this years attendees will help spread the word.

Mark

On Sep 23, 2011, at 7:13 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2011, at 10:37 PM, ext Mark Lucas wrote:
>
>> Yep, and that is just returning attendees.  67% were new attendees for 2011.  So it would seem we could easily duplicate the 900 attendees at this years conference.
>
> I don't think it works like that.
>
> FOSS4G was in the US for the first time in a long time; the space itself has changed
> drastically since 2004 (or even 2007) when it was last practical to attend
> the conf. for a lot of people.
>
> I think that the new market for attendees was huge this year, but I don't
> think it's fair to extrapolate that it will *always* be that big;
> I think that imagining the market/space will grow by as much between
> 2011->2012 as it did between 2007 and 2011 is a pretty big
> expectation.
>
> I would start with mpg's numbers and go up slightly, unless you believe there
> is somehow a very large untapped potential that Denver did not address;
> I think that imagining a 25% growth of new attendees is reasonable, but
> expecting *two thirds* new attendees again would be excessive.
>
> -- Chris
>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Sep 22, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>>
>>> For “likely to attend a FOSS4G in NorAmer next year” (#19), the responses were
>>>
>>> 1: 10%
>>> 2: 10%
>>> 3: 25%
>>> 4: 20%
>>> 5: 35%
>>>
>>> Let us assign probabilities to the 1-5 scale like this:
>>>
>>> 1: 0% (will not attend)
>>> 2: 20% chance of attending
>>> 3: 40%
>>> 4: 60%
>>> 5: 80%
>>>
>>> Assume 900 attendees at this conference.  Then, we can project the attendance at the postulated local NorAmer conference to be
>>>
>>> .10(900) * 0 + .10(900) * .20 + .25(900) * .40 + .20(900) * .60 + .35(900) * .80
>>> = 0 + 18 + 90 + 108 + 252
>>> = 468
>>>
>>> Check my math, but we could be looking at a ~500 person gig.
>>>
>>> -mpg

>>> 46% answered 5 to the question how heavily do you currently use geospatial open source, remainder split fairly evenly between 1-4.