[Board] Fwd: Second Session of the UN Committee of Experts on GGGIM (13-15 August 2012)

Arnulf Christl arnulf at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 2 02:29:25 PDT 2012

Board, OSGeo Advocates,
you might remember that I attended the 1st UN GGIM [0] meeting in
South Korea last year and that following up we sent in a paper with a
position (actually two) from OSGeo [1], [2].

GGIM translates into "Global Geographic Information Management" and
it's mission is to provide a platform and forum for knowledge exchange
around geospatial data, software and management for UN member nations.

UN GGIM recognizes OSGeo as an industry player and is interested in
further engaging us in their process. To this effect we are invited to
send a representative to attend the next UN GGIM meeting to be held in
New York. For further details please read the PDF made available here
[3]. I would obviously be very interested in doing this myself but
unfortunately I have a private event at that time which I cannot move.

Anybody who has ever attended a UN event of this size will know that
it is kind of, well, formal and can be sort of 'boring' if I may say
that. But last time we were also invited to a really effective hands
on session where we could exchange ideas about different topics in a
gloabl context. We are recognized at UN GGIM on par with industry reps
from Oracle, Google, Samsung SDS, Hexagon (Intergraph, ERDAS, etc),
Pitney Bowes, SmallWorld and so on. It would be a shame if we would
let this opportunity pass.

I suggest that we try to get someone from the board to attend and in
case nobody is available leverage our new advocate page [4] to find
someone.

Unfortunately the mail with the invitation passed my attention due to
me switching around mail system and there is now little time left, my
apologies for this.

Kind regards,
Arnulf

[0] http://ggim.un.org/