[Board] Fwd: Second Session of the UN Committee of Experts on GGGIM (13-15 August 2012)

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 02:53:58 PDT 2012

This is good opportunity and i hope someone in OSGeo Board attends this and represents us. Also whoever is attending this, could i request them to  also bring to the attention of any interested UN staff the free Hands-on Workshop  on "Open Source GIS & WebMapping for UN staff" on 20-21 November 2012 in Vienna, Austria.

This workshop is tailored especially for members of staff of United Nations (UN) bodies and entities. No specific requirements and skills are needed for participation other than interest in finding out about the potential of open source, open standards and open data for geospatial domain. All course materials of the workshop (including data used for the exercises) will be made available through the website after the workshop, so that it reaches the wider community. This workshop is organized as part of our aim for  spreading the benefits of geospatial technologies to all.

These hands on workshops are organised as part of the ICA-OSGeo MoU activities following the successful workshops at ICC 2011, AGILE 2012 etc. I am ccing Barend Köbben (ITC) who is the lecturer for the workshops and Prof. Georg Gartner (President, ICA) for info. I understand Georg will be attending GGIM representing ICA, so he will also be able to promote this.

Participation is free  but those interested to attend  need to register through the website. Details at http://kartoweb.itc.nl/kobben/SOMAP-OSGEO-workshop/

Best wishes,

Suchith