[Board] [Geotools-devel] About Asking permission for re-licensing from LGPL to Apache

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:28:58 PDT 2012

> As for the email discussion cited, Martin has asked us to look into the request and it was placed on our meeting agenda.
>
> The GeoTools PMC is still in the fact checking mode and has not figured out what (if anything) is possible.
>
> The usual course of action here would be to explore what is possible, create a geotools proposal, revise it through public discussion, and ask the PMC to vote on it.
The proposal is now in place:
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Dual+License+Request

And has been add to the OSGeo board meeting agenda.
> Finally the the GeoTools development process is open, and anyone can create a GeoTools proposal (for example a proposal to release a subset of GeoTools 2.5.x under and Apache or BSD license).

This topic touches on the responsibilities of the OSGeo board and the GeoTools PMC. As GeoTools Project Officer I am responsible for running the sub-committee according to OSGeo approved procedures. As the topic of impartiality has been added to the next OSGeo board meeting agenda, I invite the board to review the above proposal and our change procedure.

Jody Garnett
GeoTools Project Officer