[Board] The geotools license agenda item

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 16:27:19 PDT 2012

If asked I can go back and read Adrian's email, I am deeply thankful for the hard work he put into both this agreement, and into the incubation process in general.

My understanding was placing the license as a board obligation was to allow the foundation to meet its goal of supporting open source licenses.

The foundation would justly be annoyed if a PSC relicensed an existing project under a closed source license. The same setup can occur if a contributor is free to set the license of a derived work. Indeed we would be placed in a very strange spot where the header would need to show OSGeo copyright, but the rest of the header could outline a license not in keeping with our goals.

In any case this is largely academic, the request was for an Apache License 2.0.

What remains is to carefully dot our i's and crossing our t's to prevent any further trouble. I will have to see how the board meeting turned out.
--
Jody Garnett