[Board] The geotools license agenda item

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Thu Aug 9 20:29:17 PDT 2012

Le 10/08/12 08:27, Jody Garnett a écrit :
> The foundation would justly be annoyed if a PSC relicensed an existing
> project under a closed source license. The same setup can occur if a
> contributor is free to set the license of a derived work. Indeed we
> would be placed in a very strange spot where the header would need to
> show OSGeo copyright, but the rest of the header could outline a
> license not in keeping with our goals.

Just for the record, my understanding is that what a contributor do with
its own contribution has no impact on the project. I mean, a contributor
can re-license a separated copy of his contribution, but no re-licensing
done on contributor's side can have any impact on the project license,
especially not on derivative work done by other peoples. The "derivative
work" that a contributor can distribute according the Copyright
Assignment is only the contributor's own derivative work.

     Martin