[Board] The geotools license agenda item

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 16:38:31 PDT 2012

> To the situation at hand. Come on kids, what's going on? Can you not let
> go? Not a little bit? None of you? We are doing Open Source here. We are
> explicitly not propietary nitpickers. At least that was what I thought
> we were when we started off. Maybe it is time to change?
>
> I have so far still not seen any real-world argument proving that the
> relicensing of code that has been produced be particular individuals
> before the split of the projects will do any harm to anyone. It feels a
> bit like Kindergarten (I admit that I dropped out of Kindergarte before
> really getting anything done, I was probably socially incompatible).
>
> Sorry to step on toes here, I know that some nerves are still blank
> after this ling time - but seriously - is this what we care about?

Your criticism is well deserved, sorry if I was getting grumpy yesterday.

I am trying to cleanly sort this out with out scaring any GeoTools contributors. As such I would like to keep the conversation high-level, set a direction and then sort out how to accomplish that.

As such we have a high level direction (promote open source spatial) a direction (enable Martin or GeoToolkit to relicense under Apache Version 2.0) and are having a difficult time figuring out how to accomplish that.

Jody