[Board] Choosing the next President of OSGeo

Lisa Sweeney lsweenstar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 09:47:50 PDT 2012

Roles of the President as defined by the OSGEO bylaws at:
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

ARTICLE IV Meetings of the Board of Directors
Section 4.2
Special meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at such times as
called by the Chair of the Board, the President of the corporation, or by
any two (2) directors.

Section 5.4 Compensation
The President shall have authority to fix the salaries, if any, of all
employees of the Corporation, other than officers elected or appointed by
the Board of Directors.

Section 5.6 President. Unless provided otherwise by a resolution adopted by
the Board of Directors, the President shall be the Chief Executive Officer
of the corporation and shall have general and active management of the
business and affairs of the corporation, subject to the direction of the
Board of Directors. In the absence of the Chair of the Board, the President
shall preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and members. The
President shall see that all orders and resolutions of the Board of
Directors are carried into effect, shall sign and deliver in the name of
the corporation any deeds, mortgages, bonds, contracts, or other
instruments pertaining to the business of the corporation, except in cases
in which the authority to sign and deliver is required by law to be
exercised by another person or is expressly delegated by the Certificate of
Incorporation, these Bylaws, or the Board of Directors to some other
officer or agent of the corporation, may maintain records of and certify
proceedings of the Board of Directors, and shall perform such other duties
as may from time to time be prescribed by the Board of Directors.

Section 5.7 Secretary
The Secretary shall sign such instruments as may require his or her
signature and, in general, shall perform all duties as may be assigned to
him or her from time to time by the Chair, the President or the Board of
Directors.

Section 14.2 Contracts.
The Board of Directors may authorize such officer or officers, agent or
agents, to enter into any contract or execute and deliver any instrument in
the name of and on behalf of the corporation, and such authority may be
either general or confined to specific instances. Contracts and other
instruments entered into in the ordinary course of business may be executed
by the President or, in the absence of or pursuant to a delegation by the
President, by such officer designated to act in the place of or in the
absence of the President, without specific Board of Directors authorization.

Section 14.4 Checks, Drafts, Etc.
All checks, drafts or other orders for the payment of money issued in the
name of the corporation shall be signed by such officer or officers, agent
or agents of the corporation and in such manner as shall be determined by
resolution of the Board of Directors, or by the President or Treasurer upon
delegation by the Board of Directors.

Section 14.5 Deposits. All funds of the corporation not otherwise employed
shall be deposited from time to time to the credit of the corporation in
such banks, trust companies or other depositories as the Board of
Directors, or the President or Treasurer upon delegation by the Board of
Directors may select.

Also a link to Arnulf's retrospective from his time as OSGEO President:
http://arnulf.us/sevendipity/archives/49-OSGeo-Director-Retrospective.html

cheers,
Lisa

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com