[Board] OSGeo Dutch Local Chapter offcial status request

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Thu Jan 5 11:54:27 PST 2012

Dear Members of the Board,

You may have noticed some noisy Dutch folks at the closing event in
Denver. After "Denver" momentum was gained in reviving the Dutch Local
Chapter. This email is to request official Local Chapter status as in
http://www.osgeo.org/content/chapters. Some facts and figures are below,
following the Guidelines as in
http://www.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html.

1. "OSGeo Chapter should self-organize (for instance in the OSGeo wiki,
via OSGeo mailing list, etc), seeking to determine if a critical mass of
interest exists to justify a chapter."

I think we have a critical mass e.g.
members)
Website: http://osgeo.nl
Wiki: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Nederlands
IRC: #osgeonl http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeonl
Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/OSGeoNL
etc

2. "OSGeo Chapter should prepare a mission and objectives indicating the
scope of the planned chapter (geographic or linquistic extent for
instance)."

Mission: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Nederlands#Missie
This is somewhat broader. We are for instance also establishing
cooperation with the OpenStreetMap community in the Netherlands. We have
decided to be a Dutch Language Chapter under the name OSGeo.nl (with
"nl" meant as the ISO language code).

3. "OSGeo Chapter should propose an official representative to liaise
with the OSGeo Board. If accepted by the board, the representative will
be an officer of OSGeo."

I (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Just) have been nominated as liason
officer (see also item #3
http://www.mapcache.org/osgeonl/2011/osgeonl.2011-12-06-19.31.html)

4. "OSGeo Chapter should submit an official expression of interest to
form a chapter to the OSGeo board, listing initial members, mission,
representative, legal form (incorporated?) and other supporting
information."

Hereby. Initial members:
We are discussing a legal form: the most likely is a "stichting"
(~foundation), a non-profit organisation.

For 2012 we have 2 focus events:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geospatial_World_Forum and
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MapWindow_Conference_2012 (major)
plus other informal local events like our newyear party:
http://www.meetup.com/OSGeoNL/events/46060652 (OSGeo board members welcome!)

I think we have taken all steps and we think the time is right. So
hopefully you may grant us official OSGeo Local Chapter status.

kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

--Just (trailblazer for OSGeo.nl)

Just van den Broecke  just at justobjects.nl
Just Objects B.V.     tel +31 65 4268627 Skype: justb4
The Netherlands       http://www.justobjects.nl