[Board] Some thoughts on how to approach the meeting in Seattle

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri Jan 6 06:11:40 PST 2012

I think this is a great place to start, and I don't have anything further
that I'd like to add, only a plea that we do try and keep things focused so
that we can come away from this meeting with some concrete plans. I think
that's the only way we can recover some momentum, and also provide us with
positive news to send out.

Jo

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Peter Batty <peter at ebatty.com> wrote:

> I wanted to start a bit of discussion on how best to approach the meeting
> in Seattle, and throw out a few suggestions and questions. This isn't
> something you can easily just stick in the wiki, I think we need a bit more
> discussion on the overall approach.
>
> One question is what are our objectives for the meeting. I would say a key
> one is for us to come to a clearer consensus as a board on what are the
> activities that the foundation wants to carry out. I'm sure we will
> continue to have a range of opinions of course, but unless we can get some
> pretty good agreement on some number of core activities that are (or
> aren't) part of our mission then it's hard for us to be very effective.
>
> We've been wrestling with wildly divergent opinions on things like do we
> need paid staff, do we need to raise more funds than we have been doing,
> and if so what's the value proposition that we offer sponsors / members
> etc. But we can't hope to answer those questions unless we have a clearer
> view of what activities we want to carry out.
>
> One good starting point I think would be to make sure that we all agree on
> our high level mission statement, which is as follows:
>
> OSGeo was created to support the collaborative development of open source
> geospatial software, and promote its widespread use.
>
> I understand that was discussed at some length by the previous board, and
> I think it's a good high level description that I definitely support. So
> hopefully this would be relatively easy to all agree on (famous last
> words!). But it would at least be good to start with something we all agree
> on!
>
> Then we could logically break the discussion into two major areas:
> supporting the collaborative development of open source geospatial
> software, and promoting its widespread use.
>
> In terms of supporting development, we have various established processes
> (incubation etc) that are relevant here. Many of those I think work pretty
> effectively through volunteers and probably don't need much if any funding
> (but it's possible some areas might benefit from funding / staff, need to
> consider in more detail).
> Another thing we *could* do to support development is help fund / sponsor
> / underwrite code sprints - we had quite a bit of discussion around this in
> regard to the upcoming code sprint, but would be good to discuss further
> and try to establish what we would like to do in this area going forward
> (more, less, something similar?). Clearly this is an area where more
> funding would enable us to do more.
> I'm sure there's quite a list of things people can add in this area.
>
> As I've mentioned, I think there's a lot more we could do in the area of
> promotion of open source geospatial. I think there are a lot of potential
> activities here that are common across projects, and are also common across
> different parts of the world (I don't buy the argument that all the "real
> [...]

***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 750 095 8167
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform<http://www.isharemaps.com/>
See the new Helpdesk and Customer
portal<http://support.astuntechnology.com/home>
Over 35% of the 4 star council websites use iShare - SOCITM Better
Connected 2010

See our customer commendations and
awards<http://astuntechnology.com/customers/awards-and-commendations/>

864201149.