[Board] Some food for thought from Directions magazine ahead of our board meeting

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Sat Jan 7 04:14:35 PST 2012

Michael,

On 2012/01/07 12:02, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> I have heard a few time about the perceived lack of diversity on the
> board.  The latest elected charter members I think reflects a change
> there (it would be nice if someone could run some statistics on that)
> -- beyond that, can you make some specific suggestions as to how we
> might address your concerns?

I think I have made several specific suggestions before;

1) Retire Charter Members who did not vote for 3 consecutive years

2) Assign more responsibilities to Charter Members rather then
making them only vote for OSGeo Board and new Charter Member
elections.

3) Have Charter Members vote on crucial issues

4) OSGeo Board Members can update their views of
role of Charter Members in the Wiki page that you
requested to be created
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_charter_member_page_instruction

5) Set up an Advisory Committee comprising of members
form within and outside OSGeo. These members could
be from Academia, Government, intergovernmental
organizations and charitable foundations. The role
would be to evaluate our performance since 2006
and suggest where and how we should be heading
in 2015. Such an Advisory Committee could work with the present
OSGeo Board to formulate "OSGeo - Vision 2020" that could be
presented at FOSS4G2012.

6) Bring out the "OSGeo-2011 Executive Report from the President"
and also for subsequent years.

7) Approve and publish the OSGeo Budget for 2010 and 2011
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2010
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2011
are still drafts

8) Spend funds to keep teh OSGeo web-site up-to-date.
For example, most of the translation are out of date. Better to remove
them and show links to language/regional chapter pages.

Best

Venka