[Board] FOSS4G 2012

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Jan 19 16:30:55 PST 2012

Board,
apart from some mails about the academic track at FOSS4G in China I did
not hear much progress. Admittedly I might have missed much due to not
being well connected but hearing this little is worrying me. There is
still no web site up and no request for sponsorship and we are already
way over mid January. The Wiki is not evolving either and the conference
list is dead.

Will the character of FOSS4G be a completely different one this year,
maybe geared more towards scientific research and education? If yes,
then we should plan for some alternative.

I have heard of plans to hold a FOSS4G in Malaysia prior to the Beijing
event and so far did not comment that at all while still waiting for
activities. If Beijing is not living up to the broader aims of FOSS4G
then this might be an alternative that will also be easier accessible to
some who might miss out on the Beijing event, focused more on the
community and industry requirements.

If not anything else then this mail should at least raise some dust.

Not happy,
Arnulf

--
Exploring Space, Time and Mind