[Board] Asking permission for re-licensing from LGPL to Apache
martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Fri Jul 20 01:42:21 PDT 2012
This is my first post on this mailing list. I'm Martin Desruisseaux, a
former GeoTools 2 contributor and now a developer of the Geotoolkit.org
In our search for a community, we had a recent discussion with members
of the Apache Spatial Information System project
(http://incubator.apache.org/sis/), which is in incubation. A small
email exchange gave me the feeling that our design goals could be in phase.
(see the "Exploring possible contribution" thread)
We would like to offer them the Geotoolkit.org code. In order to make
that possible, we need OSGeo permission to re-license Geotoolkit.org
from its current LGPL 2.1 license to the more permissive Apache license.
The proposal is not to transfer the totality of Geotoolkit.org to Apache
SIS, but to allow them to review the code and pick-up whatever they wish
on a case-by-case basis. The transition to Apache SIS would probably be
slow and very progressive.
Geotoolkit.org is a fork of GeoTools 2.6 followed by 4 years of
developments. The project contains two parts: "core" and "pending". Our
proposal is to begin with the "core" part, which was written (according
SVN history) at 95% by myself, Geomatys or IRD institute. The remaining
5% were written by other GeoTools contributors. To my knowledge,
everyone signed the copyright assignment on
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo/legal/, which gives copyright to OSGeo.
We would like OSGeo permission to re-license that code. I would like to
emphases that this is not a demand for relicensing current GeoTools, but
only relicensing of the GeoTools 2.6 code from which Geotoolkit.org is
derived, which is 4 years old. If OSGeo accepts to grant us permission
to relicense 100% of Geotoolkit.org "core", that would be truly
appreciated. But in case of objection, we are willing to rewrite the 5%
of "core" code which was not written by myself, Geomatys or IRD.
If OSGeo accepts re-licensing, it would allows Apache SIS to gain
services they are currently missing, allows Geotoolkit.org code base to
gain a community, and possibly allows the GeoTools project to gain a
trusted and maintained metadata and referencing libraries which could
replace their current modules, if they wish.
Would it be possible to take this action?
More information about the Board