[Board] [Geotools-devel] Asking permission for re-licensing from LGPL to Apache

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Mon Jul 30 14:01:15 PDT 2012

Hello Arnulf

Le 30/07/12 13:38, Seven (aka Arnulf) a écrit :
> this is an acknowledgement that the board has received your request and
> will be acting upon at the soonest possible time. Please take into
> account that we are in the middle of summer and people might be on
> holidays. Our next scheduled board meeting is on 9. August [1], I added
> the topic to the agenda.

Thanks you very much for the acknowledgement.

We noticed that the current agenda item is a little bit Geotk/GeoTools
specific, while it seems that the topic can be considered more generic.
May I suggest a rephrasing as below? (with better English than mine):

    Stating if the rights granted to the contributors who signed the
    Copyright Assignment include the right to distribute their own work
    under a different OSI approved license.

Maybe OSGeo considers that it should be a case-by-case question, in
which case please take into account that the current phrasing works for us.

Regards,

     Martin