[Board] Resurrecting the Eclipse discussion

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Mon Jun 11 06:58:48 PDT 2012

OSGeo future and Eclipse…

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this earlier.

I hope this won't be misinterpreted so let me emphasize a couple of points:

I believe the OSGeo is the global leader in open source geospatial development
We have the top projects as members,
we have infrastructure that supports development,
we host great international, regional and local conferences.
I am also very impressed with the caliber of the committees and board members

I would like to see us preserve all of that an enhance it.

There is always room for improvement and areas of concern, maybe some of those could be addressed through a relationship with another entity - such as Eclipse.

1) We have no staff
2) Our president is stepping down - who is the face of OSGeo?
3) We spend much more time discussing how we spend the little money we have then how we raise more funding
4) There is not any real focus on open source business models
5) Many of the ex Directors, open source geospatial companies,  and key contributors are focusing on other avenues
	(DM Solutions, OpenGeo, Autodesk, RadiantBlue, ESRI, Oracle just off the top of my head).
6) I'm worried how we sustain and grow the organization

Please don't take this as a doom and gloom forecast.  We have success and inertia behind us, as the board we have the obligation to guide the organization.  Now is the time to think about the way ahead.  I'm all for exploring a relationship with Eclipse if we believe it preserves our strengths and helps to address my concerns.

Mark