[Board] Eclipse - some more thoughts

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Tue Jun 26 09:23:48 PDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

Arnulf questioned why I edited some of the changes he made on the FAQ
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Location/FAQ>.

I'd like to share a few thoughts here in the form of clearing up some
misconceptions he seemed to have. Hopefully this helps.

1) Openness, transparency, and vendor neutrality

Arnulf wrote: "please feel free to talk to the board list of OSGeo, you
are more than welcome there (that list is open to anybody, another
fundamental difference to how Eclipse operates)."

At Eclipse, the discussion forums, IRC, wiki, bug tracker, code
repositories, many of the conference calls, events, board minutes, etc.
are all public. These principles are part of everything the Eclipse
Foundation does so this statement insinuating otherwise is bogus.

You'll find the mailing list & archives here:
who's interested.

2) Membership base @ Eclipse is a weakness, few sponsors at OSGeo is a
strength

Arnulf wrote: "On one side this makes OSGeo staff-less but otoh is a
strength because it also makes OSGeo independent from the whims and ups
and downs of commercial organizations. This is a central feature of
OSGeo and cannot be one of Eclipse."

This image is relevant:
http://i.imgur.com/1SoxE.jpg

Let's be realistic, OSGeo would have been glad to keep previous sponsors
and have others as well. Calling it a " feature" is being rather
dismissive of the issues that caused the companies to leave. Others
would likely use stronger language. ;-)

A large member body and a mature governance model helps to smooth out
the ups & downs of any one organization. Having organizations engaged is
a good thing... it subsidizes the things that cost money and it brings
valuable ideas, mind-share, energy, and relevance.

The bottom line is the governance model @ Eclipse is a bit different and
it provides professional services to projects in addition to volunteer
energy.  It is every bit as community & project focused. Some projects
will love it, others not so much. But choice - both, one, the other,
neither isn't a bad thing.

If possible, I'd love to shift the conversation to the positive things
we can do together. Talking about it is likely going to be more fun &
interesting. Here are just a few ideas:

  * Events... regional, global, virtual, meet-ups, code sprints
  * New project ideas
  * Getting organizations involved with existing projects
  * Creating a simultaneous release of location technology

Andrew