[Board] Update on Directors & Officers Liability Insurance renewal

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue May 15 06:24:58 PDT 2012

Board,

As some of you know, it's this time of year where we need to renew our
Directors & Officers Liability Insurance. I have been going back and
forth in the last few weeks with our broker filling forms and answering
various questions, and they got back to me yesterday with a quote with a
premium 5 times higher than in previous years. We used to pay 1,000$
(+300$ broker fee) and the new quote is for 5,571$ (+300$ broker fee)
which the insurer says is due to additional information regarding the
organization's volunteers.

That's quite an increase in price, and seem quite high for what we need
and for the budget of our organization.

Indeed, one of the questions that they asked was: "The Underwriter needs
to know the number of volunteers you are using and needs it documented
on the renewal application for rating purposes."

I haven't checked with them yet but my guess is that my answer to this
question (copied below) was a bit too inclusive and they are trying to
include a few hundred volunteers in the coverage, which is not what we need.

After discussion off-list with some of you, I will try to talk to our
broker today about restricting coverage to directors and officers, which
is 9 directors on the board of directors, 8 committee chairs, and 20
software project chairs. (The committee and project chairs are officers,
when acting in an official capacity they are acting on behalf of OSGeo.)

Hopefully that will help bring the premium back to a more reasonable
amount. I'll keep you posted.

Daniel Morissette
OSGeo Treasurer

FYI, my response to their question about the number of volunteers: