[Board] FOSS4GNA 2013 Financial Backstop

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 10 14:21:39 PDT 2012

David,

I can't speak for the board as a whole, but I am open to this possibility.

For background, I'll briefly address how it is handle for FOSS4G.  After
selection of the venue, the LOC prepares a budget which has to be approved
by the OSGeo board.  At that point OSGeo is prepared to provide seed
funding and commit to covering losses.  OSGeo also appoints a board member
to join the LOC and act as finance monitor to ensure things are being operated
within the constraints of the agreed budget.

OSGeo also normally expects some target profit level for a conservative
attendance number, and expects to receive any profits.

You could expect similar terms if OSGeo agrees to financially back the
conference.

Best regards,
Frank