[Board] slides for Eclipse discussions next week

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Sun May 20 12:24:44 PDT 2012

Michael,
thanks for this set of slides, they are very good.

Typo On slide 8:
Charter members
* currently 12<<6>>, grows every year

Here a few points which we might want to talk about:

In general I stress that we should not use the term "IP" and that if
Eclipse does use it (and their lawyers) we have different underlying
principles. This should be cleared out asap because it is a core issue.
We should not drift off into lawyer lingo just because lawyers think
that way.

Slide: 29
No need to move OSGeo projects under eclipse rules.

31
Eclipse/LWG already has the attention of the people we want to work with
* IBM, Oracle
* Open Street Map, Ushahidi
* World Bank

This is a funny mix. Can you explain how OSM is working more with
Eclipse than with OSGeo? Are there people at IBM and Oracle we really
want to especially work with and can only contact them through Eclipse?
Or is it the money and clients we want to work with? Unclear to me what
this means.

Apart from these issues I would say that this is very much on track and
looking forward to how this evolves.

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 05/19/2012 01:07 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> Boarders, Andrew:
>
> I have made up some slides for my meeting with the Eclipse Location
> Working Group next week:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17690616/Eclipse.pdf
>

> I stress most strongly that these are slides for discussion purposes
> only, and that I am speaking here as a board member but not for the
> board itself.
>
> In talking with Andrew (the Eclipse LWG convener) and others over the
> past couple weeks, I'm increasingly convinced that "out-sourcing" our
> larger marketing and long-hoped-for business development functions to
> the Eclipse Foundation would address much of what I see as OSGeo's
> institutional and existential angst over the past few years. However,
> I recognize this is likely to be a contentious issue, that there are
> a lot of details to think about, and that a lot of community
> discussion that will be needed.
>
> Comments on the slides welcome, of course, and I will be providing a
> full write-up after the meeting on Tuesday.
>
> _mpg

Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us