[Foss4g2012] RE: [Board] RE: [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Beijing - a regional event

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:31:33 PDT 2012

Here is a proposed draft email, probably to be sent by Arnulf on behalf
on the board. Feel free to reword as you see fit:

Title: FOSS4G 2012 in Beijing - categorised as a Regional FOSS4G

Body:

In the interests of transparency, the OSGeo board are noting that FOSS4G
2012 in Beijing is being considered by the OSGeo Board as a "Regional
FOSS4G Event", rather than as the "International FOSS4G event". This
means that the OSGeo Annual General Meeting, and Sol Katz award will not
be included as part of the program, and possibly means that there will
be less international presence than at the FOSS4G International event.

That said, we do anticipate that FOSS4G Beijing will be a successful
regional event, drawing heavily upon the local region for attendance.

The growth and maturity of OSGeo software and following interest from
business, educational and government has been fanning a rising demand
for the FOSS4G conference. This demand has led initially to the
development of an international conference - first titled FOSS4G in 2006
in Switzerland. By 2009 it was becoming apparent that FOSS4G attracted a
very high local attendance who made up over half the audience. These
local attendees usually were obviously interested in FOSS4G, but were
not attending the international event. By 2011/2012 many successful
regional FOSS4G events have been running, which have been capitalising
on the previously untapped local interest.

As such, we anticipate that FOSS4G Beijing will similarly be successful
in capturing the regional interest in FOSS4G and will stage a compelling
regional FOSS4G event. We do encourage all who are interested to attend.

On 26/05/2012 5:44 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> OK, I'll make an official motion.
>
> PROPOSED:   There will be no annual, international FOSS4G event this
> year. There will be a regional OSGeo conference in Beijing in
> September 2012, but it will not include an Annual General Meeting nor
> will the Sol Katz award be announced there.
>
> My motion does not lay blame, point fingers, or attempt a rationale;
> it simply states the facts as they are.
>
> -mpg

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager