[Board] Legal Entities for OSGeo

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 12:17:26 PST 2012

Board,
I'm in favour of the sentiment of Arnulf's suggestion, namely that we
should try to avoid having the legal constraints of one country
constrict the scope of OSGeo-International.

In practice, I'm in favour of selecting Daniel's option B for taxation
purposes:
/B- A non-profit 501c3 foundation with the educational focus, and drop
completely the project sponsorship program and any other taxable
activities (restricting ourselves to non-profit educational
activities)... note that a conference like FOSS4G, other than for the
(minor) sponsor advertizing aspect that comes with it, is a guenuine
educational activity, so that should not be a problem /

For purposes such as fund raising, I think we should be working with
sister organisations, be they an OSGeo local chapter, LocationTech, OGC,
or something else.

On 14/11/2012 4:19 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I agree that OSGeo global needs to have a legal status somewhere in
> order to deal with money. And in this world dealing with money is
> unavoidable, so I am not in favor of getting rid of the current setup.
> We "just"(?) need to find a way to clear up our legal status and set
> things straight for the future.
>
> Daniel
>

> On 12-11-13 12:14 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> That's all well and good, but
>> (a) we've been earning money for many years in a USA organization, so
>> the tax status will affect if that organization owes back-taxes,
>> presumably
>> (b) we'll continue to earn money via FOSS4G in whatever jurisdiction
>> we earn it and that will have tax implications in whatever
>> jurisdiction that is
>> So, the legal status of the international organization has to be
>> settled.
>> P.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Landon Blake
>> <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just read Arnulf's post about OSGeo as a global organization, and
>>> the appropriateness of persistently pursuing tax-exempt status for the
>>> OSGeo in the US. Arnulf invited us to send our comments here, and I'm
>>> taking him up on that invitation.
>>>
>>> I really appreciate his comments, which made me think about the issue
>>> in a new way. I agree wholeheartedly with the concept in his posting.
>>> It would make sense to have OSGeo members here in the US pursue legal
>>> status for some branch of the OSGeo if that is needed, and not
>>> restrict our global organization to the legal requirements for that
>>> status. Perhaps the ball could be carried by the California Chapter,
>>> or by the North American Chapter (do we have a North American
>>> Chapter?).
>>>
>>> At any rate, I wanted to voice my support for Arnulf's line of
>>> thinking and offer to support any effort to have US members of OSGeo
>>> handle the issue of organizing some legal body for US tax issues.
>>>
>>> Landon

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050