[Board] Legal Entities for OSGeo

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 13 09:19:39 PST 2012

I agree that OSGeo global needs to have a legal status somewhere in
order to deal with money. And in this world dealing with money is
unavoidable, so I am not in favor of getting rid of the current setup.
We "just"(?) need to find a way to clear up our legal status and set
things straight for the future.

Daniel

On 12-11-13 12:14 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> That's all well and good, but
> (a) we've been earning money for many years in a USA organization, so
> the tax status will affect if that organization owes back-taxes,
> presumably
> (b) we'll continue to earn money via FOSS4G in whatever jurisdiction
> we earn it and that will have tax implications in whatever
> jurisdiction that is
> So, the legal status of the international organization has to be settled.
> P.
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Landon Blake
> <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just read Arnulf's post about OSGeo as a global organization, and
>> the appropriateness of persistently pursuing tax-exempt status for the
>> OSGeo in the US. Arnulf invited us to send our comments here, and I'm
>> taking him up on that invitation.
>>
>> I really appreciate his comments, which made me think about the issue
>> in a new way. I agree wholeheartedly with the concept in his posting.
>> It would make sense to have OSGeo members here in the US pursue legal
>> status for some branch of the OSGeo if that is needed, and not
>> restrict our global organization to the legal requirements for that
>> status. Perhaps the ball could be carried by the California Chapter,
>> or by the North American Chapter (do we have a North American
>> Chapter?).
>>
>> At any rate, I wanted to voice my support for Arnulf's line of
>> thinking and offer to support any effort to have US members of OSGeo
>> handle the issue of organizing some legal body for US tax issues.
>>
>> Landon

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/