[Board] OSGeo vs 501c3 status - inpur required

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Nov 14 00:07:23 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM,  <mlucas17 at mac.com> wrote:
> My preference would be to go for B.  For profit project funding seems to be
> a tax liability and we should avoid it.  There are other mechanisms
> available for projects that want to accept funding - maybe Location
> Intelligence, sub contracting or consulting directly with the funding
> organization.

Mark,

I would be interested to learn more about these possibilities, keeping in
mind that we operate internationally (say, donor of country A wants to
sponsor a GRASS GIS Community Sprint in country B, or, donor of
country C want to have something implemented but not to have to deal
with direct contracts with the selected programmer living in a different
country). This are the common problems we have at least... so my hope
is that OSGeo would be the financial "hub".

Markus