[Board] IRS 501c3 response

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Nov 29 09:53:06 PST 2012

Board,

It's time to work on the response to the IRS with respect to the 501c3
application questions that we received in September.

I spoke with our attorney last week to discuss our strategy which he
agrees with, and I started working on the answers based on our decision
at the last board meeing to drop the Project Sponsorship program and aim
for a pure 501c3.

The list of questions and draft asnwers is at:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/501c3_Application:_Questions_from_IRS,_September_2012

My plan is to fill this wiki page with factual answers, and then David
Atkin, out attorney will take the info that we provide and turn that
into a response that the IRS will undertand (using the lingo that they
want to read).

We have until December 10 to provide our final response, but David Atkin
will need some time as well, so ideally we should aim to get all our
draft answers in place by Monday (Dec 3) to leave him a week to complete
his response to the IRS on our behalf.

I will need help from the Education committee members on several
questions. If any member of the Edu committee is reading this please go
ahead and chime in now, otherwise I will reach out to the Edu list if I
don't hear from anyone (I am not currently subscribed on the Edu list).

Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel