[Board] Invitation to OSGeo to participate in LocationTech

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:50:14 PDT 2012

Andrew,
I'm wanting to get down to the details of what is and is not expected
and acceptable, because I'm sure we will need to answer community
questions about this in the future. (My questions are deliberately
baiting in order to try to flush out what might be obvious to yourself).

Q1: What types of working groups are you expecting LocationTech to host
which people will wish to be involved in? Why would such groups be set
up to be exclusive, rather than "everyone's welcome" which is current
OSGeo default?

Q2: If a person wants to be involved in a LocationTech working group,
what process should they follow? Should they lobby the OSGeo board
asking to be assigned as an official OSGeo delegate?
Should OSGeo board allow anyone who asks to be given delegate status?
If not, what are the criteria for being allocated delegate status? More
importantly, under what circumstances does the board reject the request?
Is there a limit to the number of OSGeo representatives LocationTech
will accept?

Q3: What value does LocationTech hope to gain by including OSGeo as a
member organisation?

Q4: What value does OSGeo gain?

Q5: What level of effort is required, by whom, within OSGeo? Eg: A
requirement for a high level of involvement from the OSGeo board might
not be sustainable.

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050