[Board] Questions from IRS vs our 501(c)(3) status

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Oct 30 10:46:18 PDT 2012

On 12-10-30 1:29 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Indeed, I'd say at this point (or, really, at a point some time ago)
> it's clear than 501(c)3 is a dead letter: the costs are too high, the
> benefits are too few.  What are the implications on 501(c)6? The
> letters seem to say nothing about that option, was there other
> information gained in your call?

The call started with a suggestion that there was hope for us getting
501(c)(3) with some adjustment, so the exchange started along this
optimistic tone. And later in the call when he started talking about a
subsidiary, I thought that being not charitable might be enough, I even
thought that I asked specifically about 501(c)(6) but when I received
his written notes yesterday it said "for-profit subsidiary" so all the
excitement went away.

I just reviewed my notes from the call and see that I had confirmed with
him that being a 501(c)(6) would be compatible with the FOSS4G
advertizement issues that are not compatible with 501(c)(3)... now I
wonder if I just misunderstood in that case as well.

Anyway, with those added restrictions it is becoming clear that
501(c)(3) is much more trouble that it's worth for us. I'll try to get
better answers about the 501(c)(6) possibility.

I still wonder how all those software foundations can support software
projects with their 501(c)(3) status if we are told that we can't.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/