[Board] Questions from IRS vs our 501(c)(3) status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 30 11:05:56 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Daniel Morissette <
dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

> I still wonder how all those software foundations can support software
> projects with their 501(c)(3) status if we are told that we can't.

Daniel,

First, I believe they are grandfathered based on getting approval before
the IRS open source review that occurred over the last few years.

Second, I believe they still have to be careful not to provide any
inappropriate benefit to their financial sponsors.  I had designed the
project sponsorship program around the idea that the sponsors cannot direct
development to avoid this concern.  I think the IRS is not understanding
the distinctions I've tried to make in project sponsorship but
arguing/educating on this point may be moot in the current environment.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com