[Board] Advisory Board?

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 09:05:35 PDT 2012

I recently visited Digital Globe in Longmont Colorado and reconnected with their team.  They are in the process of acquiring GeoEye and they are the predominant collector of commercial satellite imagery in the world.  With the combine assets they sit on, if memory serves me correctly, something like 12 Billion square miles of collected imagery.  Their worldview sensor will introduce high resolution spectral bands.

I was in several discussions about open source software, OSGeo, and remote sensing in general.  They are interested in potentially providing imagery data sets for testing, evaluation, and to derive new application areas.  It was clear that they would like to engage with us to make some of these efforts happen

I believe Dr Walter Scott is in the process of joining the OGC board.  I've know him for over a decade, here is a writeup:

http://www.afcea.org/events/stratcom/11/documents/scottwalter.pdf

Should we consider establishing an OSGeo Advisory board made up of leaders in the industry that might help advance our cause?

Like to hear what everyone thinks of the idea.

Mark