[Board] Advisory Board?

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Sat Sep 8 07:25:12 PDT 2012

Cameron,

As usual, a very well thought out email. Thank you.

In LocationTech's case, it was designed for this and modelled after Eclipse
which serves as a successful & stable example. Working closely with
LocationTech may offer an opportunity to work with and benefit from such a
board without taking on the overhead and issues you mention as well as
others.

I suspect financial support is an element here. If there is a close
relationship between OSGeo & LocationTech, say where there is a natural
progression of projects into OSGeo and then to LocationTech as they mature
and look for corporate adoption & contributions, the Steering Committee may
see good value in financial support. We are creating a program modelled
after Friends of Eclipse which enables individual sponsorship for a modest
amount. This program is designed to raise funds explicitly for the
community. A close relationship with OSGeo helping to direct those funds
might make a lot of sense.

These are things going on at LocationTech in any case. Maybe they make
sense to get involved with or perhaps not. I'm glad to discuss if there's
potential.

Andrew