[Board] Advisory Board?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 10:10:33 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Daniel Morissette
<dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> I fully agree with your pragmatic concerns.
>
> For the record, I am neither in favor of nor against an advisory board at
> this point. I don't see a need for it myself, but am not against someone
> else spending their time/energy making a case for it and defining how it
> would work either. My suggestion about the sponsors was simply to make sure
> they are considered *if* we go that route.

Folks,

As is often the case I find myself reacting similarly to Daniel.

I would appreciate input and involvement from industry supporters
such as those Mark discusses.  If an advisory board is the best way
to get that and if someone wants to take the lead on the effort then
I'd be pleased to see it happen.

However, I've also seen advisory boards being un-useful and
I'd rather not start down this road without a sense that it will
be useful.  It is also not something I'm likely to get to heavily
involved in pulling together.

If we have an advisory board, inviting sponsors to contribute
would be reasonable.