[Board] [OSGeo-Standards] Status of the 10 OGC slots for OSGeo members

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Wed Sep 12 15:05:50 PDT 2012

Cameron,
thanks for reminding me. Basically everything has been said on the
lists and is documented in the Wiki [1]. Michael has drafted a more
refined process which maybe is a little too formal for what we need
right now but works fine for me. I would be happy to stay one of the
liaisons to the OGC and also added him to our small "selection
committee". Maybe we can get board approval for this at the meeting
tomorrow?

I will have to check my schedule but I should be able to standby
during the board meeting to answer any questions.

My concern is more along the linies of what Carl summarized when he
said thet the whole idea behind this was to get some more *active*
engagement from the Open Source Community in the standards processes
of the OGC. So far there has been extremely little to no visible
participation from within OSGeo through this channel. The only
exception is Volker Mische who made good use of the donated
membership. He gave regular reports about what he did and when he was
hired by his company gracefully stepped down to make way for somebody
who does not have the option to join through a regular business
membership. This was how we originally thought this would work.

And we should remind ourselves that the OGC has no obligation
whatsoever to give us this option and that they can terminate it at
any time. So it does not really suit us well to demand anything from
them, some mails sounded a bit as if that were the case.

But with the renewed interest we have been seen in the past week maybe
we can get something useful done.

Another minor question: Currently on the sponsor pages it says to
contact me for further information (and that I am president, so we
need to change that anyway). I edited all language pages in a hurry
when Tyler left. Now to do it right, what should I change it to?

Cheers,
Arnulf

[1]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_signs_Memorandum_of_Understanding_with_OGC#Designated_OSGeo_Members