[Board] Budget: GSoC money

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Apr 2 09:28:41 PDT 2013

On 13-04-02 4:21 AM, Anne Ghisla wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:10:54 +1100
> Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Markus, Anne, Paolo,
>> Could you please start a Code Sprint history page (or similar) that
>> we could refer back to.
>
> Sorry for delay, I'll create the page tonight or tomorrow, including
> only OSGeo-supported code sprints. I'll make clear that more events
> happen worldwide!

With this long discussion about semantics, we seem to have forgotten to
deal with the initial request which was Paolo asking for funds to
support the QGIS sprint that will take place on April 11-14, in a few days.

I see that Paolo did not provide an explicit amount he was expecting,
instead, to the question "what is the desired amount of OSGeo
sponsorship?" his answer was: "in relation to past GSoC QGIS projects"

I presume this meant proportional to the 500$ mentorship stipends coming
from 2012 GSoC QGIS projects.

I already wrote that my preference would be for the Code Sprint budget
to be treated as a whole and not be tied to the number of GSoC projects
in a given year, so unless someone comes up with a better suggestion I
will make a motion tomorrow for 1,500 USD in a separate thread (slightly
more than the 1000 Euro that we provided last year to the QGIS and GRASS
sprints, but sticking to US Dollars to keep our accounting simpler).

If I don't hear comments or objections until then I will make an
official motion tomorrow on this list.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/