[Board] Budget: GSoC money

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:12:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:28:41 -0400
Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

> With this long discussion about semantics, we seem to have forgotten
> to deal with the initial request which was Paolo asking for funds to
> support the QGIS sprint that will take place on April 11-14, in a few
> days.
>
> I see that Paolo did not provide an explicit amount he was expecting,
> instead, to the question "what is the desired amount of OSGeo
> sponsorship?" his answer was: "in relation to past GSoC QGIS projects"
>
> I presume this meant proportional to the 500$ mentorship stipends
> coming from 2012 GSoC QGIS projects.
>
> I already wrote that my preference would be for the Code Sprint
> budget to be treated as a whole and not be tied to the number of GSoC
> projects in a given year, so unless someone comes up with a better
> suggestion I will make a motion tomorrow for 1,500 USD in a separate
> thread (slightly more than the 1000 Euro that we provided last year
> to the QGIS and GRASS sprints, but sticking to US Dollars to keep our
> accounting simpler).
>
> If I don't hear comments or objections until then I will make an
> official motion tomorrow on this list.

I understand that a lively and successful project like QGIS deserves
OSGeo's recognition - but I'd stick to 1000 USD (~780 EUR) for this
event, for the following reasons:

- the code sprint focuses on a single OSGeo project (a popular and
  successful one, but OSGeo financements are primarily intended to
  multi-project events);
- QGIS budget is pretty healthy and the event would happen even with
  less OSGeo funding;
- QGIS holds usually two major events per year, and several other local
  ones. QGIS code sprint co-financements at 1500 USD each for 2013 could
  sum up to 3000 USD, around a third of the global OSGeo code sprint
  fund.

I hope that other OSGeo projects will follow QGIS in requesting
co-financement, and more cross-project events will take place.

All the best,

Anne
--
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla