[Board] IRS response to OSGeo's 501c3 and discussion of our options

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:30:28 PDT 2013

Thanks Daniel,
To facilitate this discussion, I suggest that we identify OSGeo's
current activities, (in particular funded activities), and classify them
as IN or OUT of the proposed non-profit status.

Eg:
* Global FOSS4G, IN, Criteria: Xxxx

* Regional FOSS4G
* Sponsoring Code Sprints
* Sponsoring marketing material for a OSGeo Booth at spatial conferences
* Website maintenance
* Paying a developer/reviewer to work on OSGeo-Live production?
* Paying for the printing of OSGeo-Live for distribution at workshops?
... at universities? ... handing out at conferences?

Is there a wiki already set up where we should put such a list?

On 13/08/2013 12:42 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Hi Board,
>
> As I wrote a few days ago, we had a conference call a few weeks ago
> between myself, the IRS agent responsible for our 501c3 application,
> and our attorney David Atkin. In the call we discussed the IRS
> position and our possible options, and I asked David to summarize that
> in a letter/report to share with the rest of the board.
>
> I just got this letter/report form David tonight and attached a copy.
> There are a few points that were discussed in the call that are not
> clear in the document, so I just emailed David to ask for
> clarifications that I will share, but I thought I would share this
> first version with you all right away.
>
> We have until August 31 to respond to the IRS indicating which way we
> want to go, so we need to discuss this now and make a decision on
> those tough questions soon. I realize that timing is not ideal with
> the election but we need to act on this ASAP.
>
> Even if that's not obvious by reading the letter, there is a possible
> path forward that the IRS would agree to and with minimal tax
> implications relative to the accumulated surplus that serves as a
> cushion/seed money for FOSS4G, but that would imply running two
> organizations in parallel as described in the letter.  More on that
> later once I get the response from David to my questions sent a few
> minutes ago.
>
> Finally, David offered to participate in our next board meeting to
> answer any questions we may have. We may also want to hold a separate
> special meeting on this topic alone, perhaps over phone or skype as
> this is what David would be most used to.
>
> Daniel

Cameron Shorter
Software and Data Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial & Data Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com