[Board] IRS response to OSGeo's 501c3 and discussion of our options

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Aug 13 10:12:31 PDT 2013

> We have until August 31 to respond to the IRS indicating which way we want to go, so we need to discuss this now and make a decision on those
> tough questions soon. I realize that timing is not ideal with the election but we need to act on this ASAP.

As I understand it, the main difference between being a 501(c)(3) and a (6) is that donations are not tax-deductible, but the organization is still tax-exempt. If that's the case, then I think converting the application to a (6) and getting quick approval is the best route.

But I'm biased, because I'd like this get worked out ASAP for the purposes of planning FOSS4G. :)

Darrell