[Board] IRS response to OSGeo's 501c3 and discussion of our options

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Aug 13 19:13:56 PDT 2013

On 13-08-13 1:12 PM, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:

> As I understand it, the main difference between being a 501(c)(3) and a (6) is that donations are not tax-deductible, but the organization is still tax-exempt. If that's the case, then I think converting the application to a (6) and getting quick approval is the best route.
>
> But I'm biased, because I'd like this get worked out ASAP for the purposes of planning FOSS4G. :)

Switching from c3 to c6 may well be the way to go and allow us to have a
single entity for all our activities. This was one of the alternatives
that I was waiting for feedback on from our attorney. I spoke to him
tonight and we discussed this option, and he will get back to us
tomorrow with a written summary of the answers to my questions to share
with you. (I prefer to wait for his written response instead of risking
relaying incorrect information)

Daniel (OSGeo Treasurer)