[Board] Second letter/report from our attorney on 501(c)3/6/4 status questions

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Aug 14 19:21:33 PDT 2013

Thanks Daniel.  I agree it is more clear now.

My opinion: Just from reading around today it would seem that c6 would
not apply to OSGeo because I don't believe we fit the Industry
Association definition, as in that case (his words) "people and
companies involved are primarily there for shared commercial and
business purposes" is not always true in our case.  For that reason I
believe we should be applying for c4, as a foundation that 'promotes
social welfare' (as opposed to solely focusing on business interests).

-jeff