[Board] Phone Call - NonProfit status

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Aug 22 08:59:21 PDT 2013

Hi Jeff and Brian,

Moved this discussion to the board list.

We just completed the vote on a motion to switch our current application
to either c4 or c6 after a sprint of activity of a couple of weeks on
this, and I am about to proceed in that direction with David Atkin's
help, which essentially means giving David the green light to proceed.
Are you recommending that we stop this process and seek further advice
before going ahead? We have an August 31 deadline to get back to the IRS
with our decision and David seems confident that we could get c4 or c6
fairly quickly so I'm willing to give that a chance.

BTW, based on the advice received from David (see his second letter),
switching to c4 or c6 should allow us to maintain most of our current
activities as well as our name. My understanding is that the only thing
that we may need to drop is the project sponsorship program because
paying developers to work on code is competing with private businesses
(so this is not acceptable for any nonprofit), but our other activities
including providing a venue for a code sprint for instance would be
acceptable.

I thank Brian for his research efforts and do not want this be perceived
as ignoring him (quite the contrary), and I am sure more advice could
not hurt, but I do not personally have the time for this in the coming
weeks, so unless someone else is willing to lead this new effort I think
I am going to continue with the current plan.

I'll wait until tomorrow morning before proceeding with David to leave
time for people to comment on this thread in case someone steps up to
lead this second effort.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette