[Board] Phone Call - NonProfit status

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Aug 23 08:14:43 PDT 2013

Hi Brian,

I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "sign an agreement
that is so binding, and so long-term, that is not in the best interest
of OSGeo". Are you suggesting that we should continue to seek c3 status?

My understanding of David's last letter and the exchanges I had with him
is that with c4 or c6 we could maintain most of our current activities
except the project sponsorship program, this is based on the responses
we got from the IRS to our qeustions and his own experiences with
similar situations, and not on a pre-negociated deal of any sort. Given
the position of the IRS vs software foundations, I'd be more than happy
to get that (c4 or c6) and move on to more interesting stuff.

With respect to the example of non-profit hospitals and medical
research, I brought up that same example in our conference call with the
IRS agent: I told her that what OSGeo people do to geomatics is
equivalent to doctors performing research to cure a disease, i.e. we are
researchers in the geospatial field and share our knowledge through
various means in order to advance geospatial science ... her response
was that contrary to doctors who work for the health of the population,
we work to build software which *may* be used by private entities, that
this is a private benefit and as such an activity not eligible to c3 status.

Deciding whether this is right or wrong is left to the reader, but if we
have an opportunity to switch to c4 or c6 with a minimum of effort and
get the status that we need to perform our activities then I am happy
with that. Actually, based on what we know today, c6 or c4 might have
been a better fit for OSGeo than c3 since the beginning anyway.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/