[Board] osgeo code contribution agreement

Mattmann, Chris A (388J) chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Feb 3 09:08:18 PST 2013

Hi Jody,

From: Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com<mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:53 AM
To: jpluser <chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov>>
Cc: "board at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:board at lists.osgeo.org>" <board at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:board at lists.osgeo.org>>
Subject: Re: [Board] osgeo code contribution agreement

On Sunday, 3 February 2013 at 1:40 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
Hey Guys,

If you guys are simply reusing the Apache agreement, why not simply suggest that OSGeo establish a formal collaboration with the ASF? Or, if that's too broad, fine, but something work thinking about at least at the project level (aka GeoTools?)

Cheers,
Chris
The board is welcome to talk to ASF at any point (indeed there was some communication when OSGeo was founded).

Ah, OK, is there a record of that somewhere, just out of curiosity would love to see.

As for the adaptation of the contribution agreement, do you have any feedback? Is it the kind of thing that would be acceptable to your legal department?

Great question — easiest way to check would be to bring it up at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL and get guidance from the Apache legal committee.

Reading the proposal I didn't see mention of LGPL anywhere in the contributor agreement. Are you suggesting that the contributions of each individual or corporation be licensed to OSGeo under LGPL? If so, I think that would need to be reified somewhere in the ICLA or CCLA. That said, I think it would then run afoul of the Copyright Grants and Patent Grants, since those pretty much defeat the reciprocity of the LGPL as licensed from individual/corporation to the Foundation.

Anyhoo, my 2c. HTH.

Cheers
Chris

Jody