[Board] osgeo code contribution agreement

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 13:43:13 PST 2013

On Monday, 4 February 2013 at 4:08 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Ah, OK, is there a record of that somewhere, just out of curiosity would love to see.

Apache representatives spoke at FOSS4G 2006 in Victoria.
> Great question — easiest way to check would be to bring it up at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL and get guidance from the Apache legal committee.

I was more thinking with respect to JPL, I agree that apache and OSGeo can sort out any collaboration at the board level. We are focused specifically on setting up a code contribution agreement here :)
> Reading the proposal I didn't see mention of LGPL anywhere in the contributor agreement. Are you suggesting that the contributions of each individual or corporation be licensed to OSGeo under LGPL? If so, I think that would need to be reified somewhere in the ICLA or CCLA. That said, I think it would then run afoul of the Copyright Grants and Patent Grants, since those pretty much defeat the reciprocity of the LGPL as licensed from individual/corporation to the Foundation.

The code contribution agreement *just* covers donating code to the OSGeo foundation. The license of each project remains unchanged, in this specific case GeoTools is distributed under an LGPL license, my understanding is that the distribution license has no effect on 'code contribution".

Cheers,
Jody