[Board] Fwd: {OL3: Funding} Re: Marketing/sponsors/...

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:47:15 PST 2013

Cédric,

Thank you for this summary. How to raise money for Open Source projects,
or for agencies to sponsor projects in a meaningful way is a common
question with very few people with evidence based answers, as you have here.

One other factor that I noticed was that in your initial call for
collective funds, there was a specific goal:

"We have secured XXX funds, which will only be made available if it can
be matched by other agencies".

I would strongly urge that you, or someone from the OpenLayers community
tells the full story about your fund raising exercise. Start with a bit
of history about Openlayers, and why it needed to move to version 3,
then talk about how your approached agencies, and then what factors
helped the agencies commit to the sponsorship.  You may also want to
cover other approaches which you tried or considered which didn't work
and why.

As an example of the style of writing you might consider, you might want
to look at my description of the success story for the OSGeo-Live
project:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/memoirs-of-cat-herder-coordinating.html

If you are looking for an early review, I'd be happy to offer my
services in that regard, as I think it is a great story wanting to be told.