[Board] Emeritus

Lisa Sweeney lsweenstar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 01:34:57 PST 2013

I agree establishing "emeritus" status sounds like a good idea. Making
it a role of respect that the board can grant at will (by board
motion), sounds logical. It has a positive connotation and I like that
the term is broad enough that it can be used for a variety of roles
people play within the organization, not just former presidents. I
hear the term "emeritus" used fairly commonly in the USA and
appreciate that Arnulf has looked up some translations and is finding
the term seems to translate pretty smoothly across languages. I agree
titles with "Ex" or "Past" tend to carry a negative connotation.

A definition of emeritus [1] is: retired or honorably discharged from
active professional duty, but retaining the title of one's office or
position:
So a couple of examples could be:
President Emeritus of OSGEO
Board Member Emeritus of OSGEO

To answer Jachym's question, "Former" president seems most commonly
used in the USA for someone like Bill Clinton.
Other descriptions tend to include the term number and or the years of
the term served, for example:
Bill Clinton served as the 42nd President of the United States from 1993 to 2001
"Honorable" is typically used to address a former president/ for introductions.

Cheers,
Lisa

[1] - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/emeritus?s=t