[Board] OSGeo Elections 2013

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jul 2 05:27:03 PDT 2013

Hi Arnulf,

Thank you for leading the election this year. The proposed schedule
looks good to me.

I see that you left the number of charter members to elect open by just
referring to the limits of 10% and 33% of existing membership (i.e.
between 14 and 48 new members for 2013). Should we settle on the number
of charter members before the election, or are you simply proposing that
we accept up to 48 new members if we get that many valid nominations?

I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I'd rather make things
clear up front instead of having yet another yearly debate on this
question during or after the election.

Daniel

On 13-07-02 5:40 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Board,
> please double check the timetable for the upcoming elections at:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2013
>
> I basically copied the page from last year and adjusted the dates so
> that they align with my availability. If the dates need to be changed
> I might not be able to be CRO because I am off grid for two weeks in
> August. Hopefully there is general consent that we can go ahead as
> proposed.
>

> Please note that I have checked some (probably not all) pages related
> to elections and have come across some inconsistencies. On our web
> site at: http://www.osgeo.org/membership it said that "Participants"
> have no "Nominating Rights" which is incorrect. Anybody can nominate
> new Charter Members, this explicitly includes "outsiders" who are not
> registered on the OSGeo Wiki or web site. Plus I appended "data" and
> "education" as positives in "contributions to open source software".
>
> All changes here:
> http://www.osgeo.org/node/357/revisions/view/814/3245
>
> *After* the nominations and elections I suggest that we flesh out all
> pages related to elections, remove ambiguous and contradictory terms
> and then run them through a board motion. We should obviously have
> done this right after the last elections. My bad - but hey, we are all
> volunteers. :-) So this year we will again run with "proposed" and
> "new" processes (which are not all that new anymore).
>
> We can again expect some discussions around our processes which we
> should carefully collect and consider as input to update out pages. We
> are not changing processes for the upcoming elections though.
>
> On: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Membership_Process it says that
> "Nominations for charter membership should be sent to the CRO (at
> cro at osgeo.org)." and then that "The CRO should verify with the nominee
> that they are willing to stand for the election." The nominator should
> obviously do this up front. The CRO will additionally ask the nominees
> for a confirmation for the records.
>
> Should we also encourage endorsements/recommendations for new
> directors on the discuss list? Last year some suggested that for new
> charter members this is fine but that during board elections this
> should not be done. I forgot the reasoning. Not sure what you think is
> better? I suggest that the board elections should be quiet.
>
> Please also let me know how many directors are going to be added this
> year. My current count is three due to lapse and re-election of board
> members last year. Not sure if any of the current members wishes to
> not continue. But we can work that out in the coming weeks, first off
> is the charter nomination which I would really like to get off the
> ground asap.
>
> Anything else I forgot please let me know so that we can get started.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf
>
> - --
> [...]

Daniel Morissette